September 9, 2009

EMMITT SMITH NOT HIGH ON THIS YEAR'S COWBOYS

Jerry Jones has visions of Super Bowl grandeur, but Emmitt Smith certainly isn't expecting the Cowboys to return to glory this season.

During an appearance on ESPN Radio this morning, Emmitt offered a gloom-and-doom prediction and plenty of Roy Williams ripping.

"Realistically, I think that the Cowboys can win seven games," Emmitt said.

Emmitt seems to think that the new all-business approach, complete with player accountability, is a bunch of bull.

"I mean, when I start hearing things are going to change, I keep asking myself as a player, how much are they going to change?" he said. "Are you going to be a hard-nosed coach now since things are going to change? Are you going to be more focused than you were last year? Those kind of things, I'm like, c'mon. This is not a game where you can just turn it on and turn it off."

And Emmitt took aim at Roy Williams again, praising almost every other one of Tony Romo's weapons but saying he couldn't understand why the Cowboys gave up so much to get the receiver from Detroit.

"The question is, can Roy step up and be what they need him to be?" Emmitt said. "I don't know. I don't know if it's possible.

"I do not see him as a No. 1. I never have saw him as a No. 1. Never have. When I say No. 1, I mean your No. 1 go-to guy. He's not your No. 1 go-to guy."

Emmitt's suggested solution: Rely heavily on the running game. And hope that the defensive coordinator/head coach does his job.

"They can be a solid offense," Emmitt said, which seemed to contradict some of his earlier concerns. "All Wade Phillips needs to do is just get his defense in gear and let them boys pin their ears back and go after the quarterback for four down, if it's necessary to go four downs."

Um ... didn't the Cowboys lead the league with 59 sacks last season? Oh, well, you can't expect Emmitt to make sense throughout an entire rant.

Story courtesy of www.dallasnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment